Near Independence in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Liberty Community Cemetery
Tradition holds the first burials here were for enslaved Africans before the close of the Civil War in 1865; the first marked graves date to the late 1860s. When J.C. McCrocklin sold this site to the Colored People's Cemetery Association in 1907, the deed referred to a burial ground long used by local African American residents. Six marked graves are of men and women born into slavery, and more than 20 show military service. Today, the burial ground is a link to the Freedmen and their families who settled here in the late 19th century.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2004
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13241.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 30° 19.809′ N, 96° 22.082′ W. Marker is near Independence, Texas, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from Coles Road half a mile west of McCrocklin Road. The marker is located about a quarter of a mile down the dirt Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moses Austin Bryan (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Independence Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Columns of a Building of Old Baylor University (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Female Department of Baylor University (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dr. Horace G. Clark (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Davis Family (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Baylor Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); John P. Coles Cabin (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Independence.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.