Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Morven in Brooks County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Old Morven School

1914-1993

 
 
The Old Morven School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, October 4, 2015
1. The Old Morven School Marker
Inscription.  Home schooling prevailed in Morven District among early families. After 1865, small academies were supported by private means, with limited public funds. Morven Academy, founded by Dr. Robert Hitch, had local and boarding students for twenty years. Other small schools were merged with it to form the Morven School about 1900, located about two hundred yards to the east on Mill Pond Creek. It was replaced by the two story brick building in 1914-15, financed by a bond issue. The north wing was added about 1923. Short terms were common during the Depression years. In 1935-36, the one story brick building to the south was erected. These buildings served a growing student body. Students from Barney and East Side were added in the 1940's. The high school closed in 1959. Racial integration occurred in 1970. Enrollment dropped. The buildings were used last for regular classes in 1993 when a new campus was opened elsewhere. Alumni have worked to restore and adapt the buildings to community uses since 1995.
 
Erected 2002 by Morven School Alumni Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic
The Old Morven School image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, October 4, 2015
2. The Old Morven School
(marker visible between windows near right/south side of building)
lists: Charity & Public WorkCivil RightsEducationSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 30° 56.592′ N, 83° 29.899′ W. Marker is in Morven, Georgia, in Brooks County. Marker is on 2nd Street just north of Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located directly in front of the subject building, which today houses the Morven City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 178 2nd Street, Morven GA 31638, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Zion Camp Ground (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Coffee Road (approx. 1˝ miles away); Mary Turner and the Lynching Rampage of 1918 (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different marker also named Old Coffee Road (approx. 5.1 miles away); Bethel Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 8.2 miles away); a different marker also named Old Coffee Road (approx. 9.6 miles away); Our Confederate Dead (approx. 11˝ miles away); Brooks County Veterans Monument (approx. 11˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morven.
 
Also see . . .  Dr. Robert Marcus Hitch. In the early days
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
teachers were recruited from area colleges and were offered room and board with nearby families as partial compensation for services. Schools were more than educational institutions. They were also community social and civic Centers. In the case of Morven, teachers like Tom Cordell and John Lindsey were a big help to the farmers in the area. The Home Economics teachers, Allen Chapman and a lady named Poole from Newnan, Georgia were a big help to the mothers in the area. (Submitted on January 13, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 23, 2021