Ferris in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Ferris
Organized by 13 charter members in 1858, this congregation moved from its original site near Bluff Springs (2 miles west) to Ferris in 1875. A church building, erected here in 1890, was razed when this sanctuary was built in 1925-26. Its Classical Revival design features paired pilasters, a 3-bay primary facade with a rounded arched entry, classical columns, and 2-story stained glass windows. The congregation and sanctuary continue their integral role in the community.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7104.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 32° 32.157′ N, 96° 40.025′ W. Marker is in Ferris, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is at the intersection of North Church Street and West Fourth Street, on the right when traveling south on North Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 North Church Street, Ferris TX 75125, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow fliesCity of Ferris (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Ferris (approx. half a mile away); Winniford House (approx. 4˝ miles away); Lowrey-Hurst Homestead (approx. 5.1 miles away); Edgewood Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away); Marshal Peter Monroe Solomon (approx. 6 miles away); W. A. Strain Home (approx. 6.1 miles away); St. Paul Freewill Baptist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ferris.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 19 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.