Ferris in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
City of Ferris
Site was occupied in 1851 by the Ephraim Andrews family and their in-laws, the McKnights, settling a purchased land grant. The Duffs, Greens, McDaniels, and Orrs also pioneered here. The Cumberland Presbyterian Church was founded in 1858. The Andrews family (1874) deeded 100-acre townsite, named for Judge J.W. Ferris (1823-99), to the Houston & Texas Central Railway. Post office opened June 22, 1874, in store of the first Postmaster, Jackson J. Straw. First cotton gin opened in 1880; first newspaper in 1889. The Ferris Institute was operated 1892-1907. City has been a brick-making center since 1895.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7099.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 32.038′ N, 96° 39.937′ W. Marker is in Ferris, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is at the intersection of West Sixth Street and Town Plaza, on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Town Plaza, Ferris TX 75125, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church of Ferris (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Ferris (approx. half a mile away); Winniford House (approx. 4.6 miles away); Lowrey-Hurst Homestead (approx. 5.3 miles away); Edgewood Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Marshal Peter Monroe Solomon (approx. 6.1 miles away); W. A. Strain Home (approx. 6.2 miles away); St. Paul Freewill Baptist Church (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ferris.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.