Ferris in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Ferris
The town of Ferris was laid out by the Houston & Texas Central Railway in 1874. In that year, the Reverend John S. Davis and the Reverend George W. Owens became the first of a series of circuit-riding ministers to serve Ferris, establishing a small body of the Methodist congregants. In 1885 the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, received the donation of two town lots from the railroad, on which the church erected its first building. A parsonage was erected in 1895. Circuit riders continued to serve the Ferris congregation until the late 1890s. Ferris became a part of the Waxahachie District, Northwest Texas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1899.
Ferris boasted a population of 311 at the beginning of the 20th century. A post office, railroad depot, express office, about 20 business and mercantile establishments, cotton gins, hotels, a school for children from primary grades through high school and several churches were among the town's features. In 1910, the Ferris church and the rest of the Waxahachie District became part of the newly-formed Central Texas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
New facilities were erected as needed. For much of 1924 the congregation met at Ferris High School and in the First Presbyterian Church. In 1925 the Presbyterian congregation met in the new Methodist facilities in anticipation of the completion of their new structure. A more modern facility was constructed for the Methodists in 1964. The congregation continues a strong tradition of worship, community outreach and service and mission programs.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11859.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 32° 32.224′ N, 96° 39.486′ W. Marker is in Ferris, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is at the intersection of Redbud Street and North Freeway Service Road (Frontage Interstate 45 Frontage Road), on the left when traveling east on Redbud Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Redbud Street, Ferris TX 75125, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. City of Ferris (approx. half a mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Ferris (approx. half a mile away); Winniford House (approx. 4.9 miles away); Lowrey-Hurst Homestead (approx. 5.3 miles away); Edgewood CemeteryMarshal Peter Monroe Solomon (approx. 6.4 miles away); W. A. Strain Home (approx. 6.4 miles away); St. Paul Freewill Baptist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ferris.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 23 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.