Summers County / Monroe County
Summers County. Formed, 1871, from Monroe, Fayette, Greenbrier, Mercer. Named for the distinguished jurist of Kanawha, George W. Summers. Dr. Thomas Walker and companions explored the Greenbrier Valley, 1750, for the Greenbrier Company.
Monroe County. Formed in 1799 from Greenbrier. Named for President James Monroe. In this county lived Col. Andrew S. Rowan who, 1898, carried the news of American intervention to General Y Iniguez Garcia, Leader of the Cubans.
Erected 1964 by West Virginia Archives & History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Exploration • Political Subdivisions • War, Spanish-American. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list.
Location. 37° 32.433′ N, 80° 47.067′ W. Marker is in Indian Mills, West Virginia, in Summers County. Marker is on Ballard-Red Sulphur Road (West Virginia Route 12) 0.1 miles west of Red Sulphur Marie Road (County Road
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civil War Camp (approx. 2.1 miles away); Red Sulphur Springs (approx. 2.2 miles away); Cook's Fort (approx. 5.2 miles away); Saltpeter Caves (approx. 6 miles away); Mann-Miller / Springfield (approx. 6.9 miles away); Here Stood a Statue of John Henry (approx. 7.6 miles away); Why The Tunnel Was Built (approx. 7.6 miles away); Big Bend Tunnel (approx. 7.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Last updated on January 16, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 15, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.