Fitzgerald in Ben Hill County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Portable Confinement Cage
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law Enforcement • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1913.
Location. 31° 42.827′ N, 83° 14.997′ W. Marker is in Fitzgerald, Georgia, in Ben Hill County. Marker is on East Pine Street just east of South Sheridan Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker and subject confinement cage are on exhibit on the south side of the Ben Hill County Courthouse, in front of the old jail house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 East Pine Street, Fitzgerald GA 31750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ben Hill County (within shouting distance of this marker); In Grateful Appreciation of The Boys of Ben Hill Co. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fitzgerald (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fitzgerald Rotary ClubDedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902 (approx. Ό mile away); Gen. Bush's Home (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Baptist Church Bell (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fitzgerald.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Manly Portable Convict Cage
Also see . . .
1. Manly Portable Convict Cage. Mounted on 2 1/2" solid steel axles and 2,500 lb., 5th wheel, all-steel truck with 32" wheels and 10" tires. The broad tires and superior construction of truck make the Cage easily transportable. A bucket of disinfectant once or twice a month and a bucket of paint once a year will keep this Cage clean, sanitary and vermin proof. (Submitted on January 16, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Manly Manufacturing Company. Manly Manufacturing Company billed itself as “The First and Only Steel Jail Works in THE SOUTH." Headquartered in Dalton, Georgia, the firm was originally Manly & Cooper, a foundry. Relocating from Philadelphia to Dalton in 1887, the company developed “Manly Portable Convict Cages,” horse-drawn, steel-wheeled cages to house prisoners working (Submitted on January 16, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.