Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Ephrata in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ephrata War Memorial Field Complex

 
 
Ephrata War Memorial Field Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pope, January 16, 2021
1. Ephrata War Memorial Field Complex Marker
Inscription.  
1945
Fundraising efforts began in December to construct a "living memorial to those who served so gallantly to make the world a safer place." $50,000 was needed for the construction, which originally included a football field, tennis courts, a track, and a baseball field.

1947
Cloister Post No. 429, American Legion, Inc. entered into a lease with the Ephrata War Memorial Association for 99 years for an annual rental fee for $1.00 per year.

1948
The first Ephrata High School varsity football game was played at the War Memorial Field on September 11. Ephrata lost to Muhlenberg Township, 7-6.

1949
The first baseball game was played at the complex on March 24. Ephrata earned an 18-7 win over Rothsville High School.

1954
Cloister Post No. 429, American Legion, Inc., sells the War Memorial Complex land to the School District of Ephrata Borough. The pre-existing agreement remained in effect.

1957
The Ephrata Union School District began leasing the land to the Ephrata War Memorial Association under a new agreement, which outlined the War Memorial

Ephrata War Memorial Field Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pope, January 16, 2021
2. Ephrata War Memorial Field Complex Marker
Association make an annual payment of $1.00 to the School District.

1962
Ephrata High School students helped the War Memorial Association and the Ephrata Junior Chamber of Commerce raise money to purchase and electric scoreboard.

2014
A dedication ceremony was held to celebrate the installation of a synthetic turf playing surface that included fields for football, soccer, baseball, lacrosse, and field hockey. The project was launched with a $1 million anonymous donation.

2015
The original bathroom building, which was constructed in 1950, was demolished and a larger facility was built with the addition of a new training room.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationParks & Recreational AreasSports.
 
Location. 40° 10.883′ N, 76° 11.484′ W. Marker is in Ephrata, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on Old Mill Road 0.1 miles south of Reading Road (Pennsylvania Route 272), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Old Mill Rd, Ephrata PA 17522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Brandywine Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Zion Buildings (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brothers' House Complex (approx. ¼ mile away);

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Home of Conrad Beissel (approx. ¼ mile away); The Kedar (approx. ¼ mile away); Ephrata Cloister (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Ephrata Cloister (approx. 0.4 miles away); 249 West Main Street (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ephrata.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2021, by William Pope of Marietta, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 16, 2021, by William Pope of Marietta, Pennsylvania. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021