Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Harrisonburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Harrisonburg

 
 
Harrisonburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Robert H. Moore, II, February 26, 2009
1. Harrisonburg Marker
Inscription.  Here Thomas Harrison and wife deeded land for the Rockingham County public buildings, August 5, 1779. The same act established both Louisville, Ky., and Harrisonburg, May, 1780. Named for its founder, the town was also known as Rocktown. It was incorporated in 1849. In its vicinity battles were fought in 1862 and 1864. The present courthouse was built in 1897. Harrisonburg became a city in 1916.
 
Erected 1941 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number A-33.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWar, US Civil.
 
Location. 38° 26.967′ N, 78° 52.144′ W. Marker is in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Marker is on Main Street (Business U.S. 11), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisonburg VA 22801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Court Square & Springhouse (here, next to this marker); The Big Spring (within shouting distance of this marker); McNeill’s Rangers (about 600 feet away, measured
Rockingham County Courthouse, built 1897 image. Click for full size.
By Robert H. Moore, II, February 26, 2009
2. Rockingham County Courthouse, built 1897
in a direct line); Hardesty-Higgins House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Warren-Sipe House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate General Hospital (approx. ¼ mile away); The Woodbine Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Woodbine Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisonburg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,121 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 26, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 14, 2020