Danville National Cemetery
Construction of the Danviile Branch of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers (NHDVS) began in early 1898. The first resident, Charles Butler, arrived October 13.
The home's sprawling 325-acre campus included every facility that aging veterans might require. The men lived in barracks and dined in a mess hall. Protestant and Catholic chapels served spiritual needs. The sick were treated in a hospital.
The campus operated a farm and shops devoted to printing, painting, machinery, tinwork, and harness making. Veterans staffed all of them. Entertainment included a library, opera house, amusement hall, and bandstand. The government never envisioned National Homes as charity. They were available to veterans as a reward for military service.
The National Homes merged with the U.S. Veterans Bureau and Bureau of Pensions to form the Veterans Administration (now U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) in 1930. The facility continues to serve veterans as the VA Illiana Health Care System.
The first cemetery was located northwest of here. Martin Branch, formerly in the
The remains of ninety-nine veterans were moved from the old Danville burial ground and reinterred here. It was designated a national cemetery in 1973, and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. One Civil War Medal of Honor recipient is buried here. First Lt. Morton A. Read, 8th New York Cavalry, captured the 1st Texas Infantry flag at the Battle of Appomattox Station, Virginia, April 8, 1865 (Section 10, Grave 3033).
A 20-foot-tall Soldiers' Monument is located at the center of the cemetery. The bronze soldier was created by sculptor W. Noble Clark of Maine.
Clark designed numerous figures for military monuments. This one is also used in the 100th Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteers Monument, erected on Antietam Battlefield in September 1904.
The Danville monument was dedicated on Memorial Day 1917. The inscribed granite base reads, "In memory of the men who offered their life in defense of their country."
"In the private soldier I seem to see typified the union of purpose, the union of valor and the union of probity..."
Capt. W.H. Underwood, dedication of the bronze figure at Antietam. Pennsylvania at Antietam (1906).
Erected by U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil.
Location. 40° 7.626′ N, 87° 34.828′ W. Marker is in Danville, Illinois, in Vermilion County. Marker can be reached from East Main Street (U.S. 136), on the right when traveling east. In the center of the National Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1900 E Main St, Danville IL 61832, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Danville (Illinois) National Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Landing Ship Tanks (LST's) Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); A National Cemetery System (within shouting distance of this marker); Address by President Lincoln (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alumni who Served in Korean War (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lincoln & Douglas in Danville (approx. 1.8 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 2.4 miles away); Women's War Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.