Concord Point Lighthouse Grounds
The original property for the lighthouse Keeper's House included the entire block bounded by Concord Street to the east, Lafayette Street to the south, Alliance Street to the north and Young Street to the west. A fence surrounding the property was erected in 1828.
The lighthouse keeper and his family would not only take care of the lighthouse and Keeper's House, but they also worked the property. The Lighthouse Establishment provided some supplies and food staples for each keeper's family. The keeper and his family would augment these allotments by keeping cows, pigs and chickens. They would also have planted a garden for vegetables in the backyard.
Top right inset Plat showing property boundaries, buildings and outbuilding, 1908.
Bottom right inset Chris White's painting, Mending Fences, circa 1890
Maryland Heritage Areas Authority
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Keepers (a few steps from this marker); Did you Know? (a few steps from this marker); Keeper's House (a few steps from this marker); Post U.S. Lighthouse Service Use (a few steps from this marker); Hero's Reward (a few steps from this marker); Adding On (a few steps from this marker); Keeper of the Light (within shouting distance of this marker); Havre de Grace (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Havre de Grace.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2021, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Last updated on January 18, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2021, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.