The Watson Light
Circa 1890 - 1932
In the early 20th century, without street lights or lighted homes to use as reference points, ferry boats from the Delmarva mainland would run aground as they approached Chincoteague Island.
Especially on dark nights, the Watson family would provide an oil lantern light on a pole as a reference point for incoming and outgoing ferries.
A ship's captain could align the craft with the Watson Light and Killick Shoal Light Station in Chincoteague Bay, and thus find safe haven from the sand shoals and oyster beds in the bay
At or very near this spot is where Watson's hung the original lantern.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list.
Location. 37° 56.168′ N, 75° 22.325′ W. Marker is in Chincoteague, Virginia, in Accomack County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Poplar Street, on the left when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4248 Main St, Chincoteague Island VA 23336, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 19, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 19, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.