Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
"Today we dedicate a memorial erected by this Commonwealth as an enduring mark of love and appreciation for all the soldiers of Pennsylvania who fought here."
Edwin S. Stuart
Governor of Pennsylvania
Memorial Dedication 1910
On September 27, 1910, Pennsylvanians who had fought at Gettysburg returned for the dedication of this memorial in their honor. Built of Mt. Airy granite, it stands 110 feet high, weighs 3,840 tons, and can be seen from many parts of the battlefield. It is Gettysburg's largest monument.
Listed on 90 bronze tablets along the base are the names of each of the 34,530 Pennsylvania soldiers who participated in the battle.
Pennsylvania also erected 123 regimental monuments at other locations on the battlefield. The Southern states did not provide monuments for each regiment, but honored their sons with statewide memorials, many of which may be seen along West Confederate Avenue.
(Comments about portions of the monument keyed to the drawing in the center):
(1) Goddess of Victory and Peace by Philadelphia sculptor Samuel Marray. The colossal bronze figure holds the sword of
(2) Above the triumphal arches are massive granite bas-reliefs by Samuel Murray representing the infantry, artillery, cavalry, and signal corps.
(3) The names of distinguished Pennsylvania general who commanded an army, corps, or division at Gettysburg are inscribed on the cornice. Brigade commanders are recorded inside the arches.
(4) Between the Ionic columns stand heroic-scale bronze statues of President Abraham Lincoln, Pennsylvania Governor Andrew Curtin, and six Pennsylvania generals: Meade, Reynolds, Hancock, Pleasonton, Birney, and Gregg.
(5) Bronze tablets bear the name and rank of every Pennsylvania soldier who participated in the battle of Gettysburg. Each tablet represents a regiment (about 400 officers and men). Names of soldiers who were killed are preceded by a star.
Erected by Gettysburg National Military Park.
Topics. This historical marker and memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1851.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 39° 48.449′ N, 77° 14.123′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Hancock Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Located Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Pennsylvania Remembers (here, next to this marker); Battery A, 1st New Jersey Artillery (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Pennsylvania Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Batteries C & F, Pennsylvania Independent Light Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); Pennsylvania State Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery C, Fourth U.S. Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); First Regular Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Ninth Michigan Battery (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
More about this memorial. In the center is a photo of veterans visiting the memorial. At the 50th Anniversary Reunion at Gettysburg in 1913, a Pennsylvania veteran points out his name to a friend from New York. In the upper right is a photo of The Pennsylvania Memorial under construction in 1910. The structure cost $130,000, with an additional $40,000 in 1911 for statues, walkways, and revisions to the bronze tablets. In the lower center is a diagram of the monument with numbered points indicated in the text above.
This marker was replaced by a new one named "Pennsylvania Remembers" (see nearby markers).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers, Tablets and Monuments around the Pennsylvania Memorial.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 18, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,036 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 27, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on November 15, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 4. submitted on February 27, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5. submitted on July 18, 2012. 6. submitted on April 27, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.