Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Belle Haven in Accomack County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of Willis Store-House

 
 
Site of Willis Store-House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, January 17, 2021
1. Site of Willis Store-House Marker
Inscription.  Site of Willis Store-House believed built circa 1835 by Dr. Robert Smith Trower, M.D. of "Melville" Plantation and used as medical office prior to Civil War. After the Civil War, was operated as "yellow-bodied store house" on main coach route by his son, Preston Elijah Trower, Sr. in 1873, store came under management of John B. Willis, age 18, as branch of Willis Wharf General Store owned by his father Edward Littleton willis. Succeeded in 1938 by his son Edward L. Willis who had assisted his father since age 15. Store was closed in 1959 after almost a century of operation. Property donated in 1975 by Willis heirs to Eastern Shore Association for Retarded Citizens.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceScience & Medicine.
 
Location. 37° 33.09′ N, 75° 49.284′ W. Marker is in Belle Haven, Virginia, in Accomack County. Marker is at the intersection of Belle Haven Road (Virginia Route 178) and Merry Cat Lane (County Road T-601), on the right when traveling north on Belle Haven Road. Touch for map. Marker
Site of Willis Store-House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, January 17, 2021
2. Site of Willis Store-House Marker
is at or near this postal address: 36008 Belle Haven Rd, Belle Haven VA 23306, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Occahannock (approx. ¾ mile away); Accomac County / Northampton County (approx. ¾ mile away); Occohannock Indians (approx. ¾ mile away); The Old Willis Wharf Storehouse (approx. 2.6 miles away); St. George's Episcopal Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); “The Bear and the Cub” (approx. 5.9 miles away); a different marker also named “The Bear and the Cub” (approx. 6.2 miles away); Oak Grove Methodist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away).
 
Additional comments.
1. Language Usage on the Marker
The language used on the marker reflects the language usage of the era and organization names rather than the contributor's.
    — Submitted January 20, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 20, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021