Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ninth Michigan Battery
(Battery I, 1st Michigan Artillery)
Aug. 29, 1862.
Mustered out at Detroit, Mich
July 14, 1865.
This monument marks the position
held by the Ninth Mich. Battery,
from 12-30 p.m. July 3 until 7 a.m.
the following morning.
322 rounds of shot, shell
and canister expended.
One man killed and four wounded.
Battery sustained a loss of 23 horses
killed in this engagement.
from Dec. 1862 to Oct. 1863.
From Nov. 1863 until close of service in 1865.
Erected 1888 by State of Michigan.
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is August 29, 1862.
Location. 39° 48.469′ N, 77° 14.159′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Memorial is on Hancock Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Located in near the Pennsylvania Memorial on Cemetery Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 17th Maine Infantry (a few steps from this marker); First Regular Brigade (a few steps from this marker); New Hampshire - Berdan's Sharpshooters (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery C, Fourth U.S. Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); Pennsylvania Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery A, 1st New Jersey Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Pennsylvania Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Pennsylvania Remembers (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 28, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,016 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 28, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.