Near Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Located on land granted to Josiah Lester by the Mexican government prior to Texas independence, this cemetery began in the 1850s after subsequent landowner Erwin Brown set aside land for a school and church. The site also served as a community burial ground, and the earliest documented grave is that of Susan J. Burdett, who died in 1854 at age 39. Also located here are a number of children's graves, attesting to the often harsh conditions of frontier life. The cemetery remains as a visible reminder of Washington County's pioneer heritage.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8302.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 30° 7.441′ N, 96° 31.133′ W. Marker is near Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is on Boehenmann Road (County Highway 19) one mile west of Farm to Market Road 389, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Greenvine Schools (approx. 2.4 miles away); Greenvine Baptist Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); Greenvine Gas Discovery (approx. 2˝ miles away); Louis Lehmann House (approx. 3.6 miles away); Site of Wesley School (approx. 3.8 miles away); Wesley School (approx. 4.2 miles away); Wesley Brethren Church (approx. 4.2 miles away); Eben-Ezer Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.