Motheral-Ring Family of Locust Guard
In 1823 Joseph Motheral (1791-1872) moved his family from his father's home, Harpethside, across the river to Locust Guard. Early improvements included the stone fences, log grist mill, barns, machine house for spinning and weaving, apple house, and still-standing smokehouse and dry milk house. In 1858 his daughter Emma Tennessee, married Hiram Eleazar Ring, a direct Mayflower descendant and a professor. After his death, Emma returned to her father's home with two small sons. Her son Henry Hiram Ring (1852-1930) was the next to farm the land and serve as a county magistrate. He married Sarah Frances McClellan and sired seven children. Around 1908 the first bridge over the Harpeth at this site was constructed, necessitating the rerouting of River Road. Today known as Moran Road
Four Ring sons attended UT: Jasper and Ned played UT football. Frank died in France in WWI. Jasper—an Army colonel and hydraulic engineer, worked on dam projects in the West. While James E. an Ned farmed here, James E. expanded the well-known peach orchards, planted still-bearing pecan trees, and was the President
Erected 2009 by Williamson County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Communications • Education • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 36° 1.001′ N, 86° 54.216′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Moran Road half a mile west of Moran Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1248 Moran Rd, Franklin TN 37069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Motheral/Moran House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grassland Community (approx. 0.9 miles away); Samuel Claybrook Locke (approx. 0.9 miles away); Montpier (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ash Grove (approx. 1˝ miles Leigh-Morgan Property at Grassland (approx. 1.6 miles away); Beechville (approx. 2.2 miles away); Berry’s Chapel Stone Wall / Berry's Chapel Community (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 26, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Clear, daylight photos of the marker. • Can you help?