Port Isabel in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Port Isabel Cemetery
Encompassing almost one acre of land, the Port Isabel Cemetery is located on property granted to Don Rafael Garcia by the government of Mexico in 1829. The land was known as the Santa Ysabel Grant, and Garcia soon established a ranch he named El Fronton de Santa Isabel (Saint Elizabeth's Bluff). Garcia continued to reside at his home in Matamoros, Mexico, and the ranch was operated by hired workers.
According to local tradition, the workers on El Fronton de Santa Isabel Ranch began to use this site as a burial ground as early as the 1840s. No grave markers from that time period survive, however, and the oldest marked graves in the cemetery date to the 1880s. The ground was consecrated for use as a Catholic cemetery by French Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate in December 1849, although it has served as a community burial ground for people of all faiths throughout its history.
Later owners of the land included members of the Champion (Campeoni) Family, who immigrated to America from Italy in the early 19th century. The Champion Family donated the cemetery property to the Catholic Church in 1926. It remains an important
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4076.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 26° 4.622′ N, 97° 12.655′ W. Marker is in Port Isabel, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Houston Street and Harbor Light Street. The marker is located in the center of the the Port Isabel Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Isabel TX 78578, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Fort Polk (approx. 0.2 miles away); Port Isabel Lighthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Port Isabel, C.S.A. (approx. ¼ mile away); Charles Champion (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Port Isabel Lighthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Port of Matamoros (approx. ¼ mile away); Queen Isabel Inn (approx. 0.4 miles away); Padre J. Nicolas Balli (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Isabel.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.