Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Las Rusias in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Las Rucias

 
 
Las Rucias Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 24, 2021
1. Las Rucias Marker
Inscription.  

Here
Colonel John S. Ford
of the Confederate Army
defeated the Union Forces
June 25, 1864

Erected by the State of Texas 1936

 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 3041.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
 
Location. 26° 3.227′ N, 97° 45.506′ W. Marker is in Las Rusias, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on Military Highway (U.S. 281) 0.1 miles west of Don Felipe Trevino, on the left when traveling west. The marker is located in front of the Scared Heart Catholic Church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Los Indios TX 78567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Spot Where "American Blood was Shed on American Soil" (approx. 1.7 miles away); Near Routes of Alonso de Leon Expeditions (approx. 1.7 miles away); Longoria Cemetery (approx.
Las Rucias Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 24, 2021
2. Las Rucias Marker
4.4 miles away); Our Lady of Visitation Catholic Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Our Lady of Visitation (approx. 5.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of La Feria (approx. 8.2 miles away); Site of First Bank in La Feria (approx. 8.3 miles away); Town of La Feria (approx. 8.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  John Salmon [Rip] Ford (1815–1897).
In 1861 Ford served as a member of the Secession Convention, commanded an expedition to Brazos Santiago, initiated a trade agreement between Mexico and the Confederacy, and was elected colonel of the Second Texas Cavalry, with a command in the Rio Grande district. Between 1862 and 1865 he discharged with tactful moderation the duties of commandant of conscripts, while at various times he was engaged on border operations protecting Confederate-Mexican trade. In May 1865 he led Confederate forces in the battle of Palmito Ranch, the last battle of the Civil War. Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on January 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The Las Rucias Marker in front of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 24, 2021
3. The Las Rucias Marker in front of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 7, 2021