Portsmouth in Scioto County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Scioto County, Experience Our Heritage
This park was completed in 1902, and was considered one of Ohio's three best amusement parks and was adjacent to the Steel Mill in New Boston. Streetcars delivered passengers to the park, where there was a roller coaster, carousel, pavilion, boating, ball field, and a casino that hosted concerts. Millbrook Lake and lagoons enclosed the park on three sides. Visitor could row a boat, take a gondola ride, or walk its many paths. In winter, ice skating was popular.
The demise of the park began with the flood of 1913 and ended when the steel mill bought the remaining property in 1937.
The Shoe Industry, 1866-1976
The manufacture of shoes, once a thriving industry in Portsmouth, passed from the local scene with the closing of Williams Manufacturing in 1976. This mural shows several of the shoe factories including Selby, Irving Drew, Excelsior, and Williams. Also depicted are Vulcan Corporation, which made shoe lasts; Patterson Paper Box Company, whose products were essential to the manufacture and distribution of shoes. Mitchellace, the world's largest manufacturer of shoelaces is shown
Early 1900's Streetcar
Electric streetcars were first introduced in 1892 when the City of Portsmouth purchased streetcars and laid the first tracks. A year later the city sold the cars and lines to Portsmouth Street Railroad and Light Company. The first line included Second Street to Chillicothe Street, then north to Ninth, to Eleventh, on to Gallia, and then to New Boston. This mural features an early streetcar with motormen, facing east, after the car turned the corner at 9th and Chillicothe Streets. Note the three motormen in their blue uniforms. The streetcars ceased operation in 1938.
At the far right stands the Civil War Memorial statue in Tracy Park.
Government Square, 1919
This square was the hub of the business and financial district in Portsmouth at the end of World War I. Prominent buildings in the mural include the former U.S. Post Office Building, The Kricker Building and the National Bank Building. The esplanade in the central portion of the picture is surrounded by vintage automobiles.
Also, entrances to two public underground restrooms are visible. Most of the buildings on the north side of Gallia Street remain today.
Erected by Portsmouth Area Convention & Visitors Bureau.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Ohio, Scioto County, Experience Our Heritage series list.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 43.849′ N, 83° 0.21′ W. Marker was in Portsmouth, Ohio, in Scioto County. Marker was on Front Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 500 2nd St, Portsmouth OH 45662, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Millbrook Park / The Shoe Industry, 1869-1977 / Early 1900's Streetcar / Government Square, 1919 (here, next to this marker); Julia Marlowe / Portsmouth Shoe-Steels / The Portsmouth Spartans / The Greyhound Bus Station, 1941 (here, next to this marker); 1937 Ohio River Flood Mark on Bigg's House (within shouting distance of this marker); Tenth Street Station / Market Square / Portsmouth 1903 (within shouting distance of this marker); Roy Rogers / 1937 Flood / Branch Rickey / Kentucky FriendsPortsmouth and the Ohio River (about 400 feet away); Chillicothe Street, 1940's / Steel Industry, 1870-1980 / Clarence Holbrook Carter / Carl Ackerman (about 400 feet away); Stagecoach / Hanging Rock Region / Ohio and Erie Canal / Early Industries (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Portsmouth.
More about this marker. The marker is near the entrance to the former Bigg's House Hotel, which is now part of the Riverview Retirement Center.
Also see . . . Portsmouth, Ohio, Floodwall Murals. (Submitted on October 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on January 27, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on October 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.