Progreso in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Land in this area was part of a Spanish land grant requested by Juan Jose Hinojosa in 1776 and awarded posthumously in 1790. Hinojosa had occupied the land and used it for livestock pasture since 1766. In 1896 ranchers in the area obtained a U.S. Post Office under the name Progreso. Soon thereafter commercial farming interests began large scale operations in growing sugar cane and, later, citrus groves. The Progreso Development Company platted the townsite in 1927. The town continued a steady period of growth, and citizens voted for incorporation in 1991.
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4132.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 26° 5.532′ N, 97° 57.52′ W. Marker is in Progreso, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the intersection of Business Farm to Market Road 1015 and Palm Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Highway 1015Business . The marker is located on the front wall of the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 FM 1015, Progreso TX 78579, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Former Station Site of Spiderweb Railroad (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of La Bolsa (approx. 1.1 miles away); Military Highway of the Lower Rio Grande Valley (approx. 2˝ miles away); Relampago Ranch (approx. 2˝ miles away); Balli Cemetery (approx. 3˝ miles away); Ebony Grove Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); El Horcon Tract and Rio Rico (approx. 4.3 miles away); Camp Llano Grande (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Progreso.
Also see . . . Progreso, Texas.
During World War I the Borderland Sugar Company developed sugarcane plantations in the area. In 1920 W. M. Bancroft of the sugar company sold 6,271 acres, including all of the site of Progreso and Progreso Lakes, to the Llano Grande Plantation Company for growing sugarcane. For a time the area experienced a small boom. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on January 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.