Progreso in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Former Station Site of Spiderweb Railroad
The agricultural boom that marked the early development of this area was due in large part to the San Benito & Rio Grande Valley Railroad. Begun in 1912 by Missouri native Sam A. Robertson (1867-1938), it was called the Spiderweb Railroad because of its intricate network of lines and spurs. The railroad built a station here in 1926 as the hub of a community and citrus production center planned by the Progreso Development Co. Through early valley shipping centers such as Progreso, local produce was first transported to markets nationwide.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1955.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 26° 5.432′ N, 97° 57.493′ W. Marker is in Progreso, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is on Business Farm to Market Road 1015 0.1 miles north of Johnny Vela Street, on the left when traveling south. The marker is located on the entrance to the old Railroad Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 FM 1015, Progreso TX 78579, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Progreso (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of La Bolsa (approx. 1.1 miles away); Military Highway of the Lower Rio Grande Valley (approx. 2˝ miles away); Relampago Ranch (approx. 2˝ miles away); Balli Cemetery (approx. 3˝ miles away); Ebony Grove Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); El Horcon Tract and Rio Rico (approx. 4.2 miles away); Camp Llano Grande (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Progreso.
Also see . . . San Benito and Rio Grande Valley Railway.
The company was chartered for the purpose of constructing and operating rail lines in Cameron and Hidalgo counties. The capital was $500,000, and the principal place of business was San Benito. Members of the first board of directors were Samuel A. Robertson, Samuel Spears, W. G. B. Morrison, and L. O'Bryan, all of San Benito; and Abraham M. Levy, John W. Link, Jonas S. Rice, R. H. Kelly, and DeWitt C. Dunn, all of Houston. Construction of the railroad began in 1910 in the name of trustee Robertson, acting for the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad Company (Frisco), which advanced the necessary funds. On June 28, 1912,(Submitted on January 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.