Weslaco in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The citrus industry was an integral part of the Rio Grande Valley economy in the 20th century. Grove development burgeoned in the 1920s and 1930s, but production outpaced early marketing capabilities; in 1932, 17 citrus associations formed the Rio Grande Valley Citrus Exchange. The exchange began production under the labels of TexSun and Tex Maid, and later had a box company, juicing and canning facilities, and a dehydration plant for citrus pulp-based cattle feed. It became a public corporation in 1956 and a subsidiary company in 1971. The plant ceased operations in 1991, but its economic impact on the Texas citrus industry, the Valley and Weslaco was significant.
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13004.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 26° 9.362′ N, 97° 59.442′ W. Marker is in Weslaco, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is on South Texas Boulevard (Farm to Market Road 88) 0.1 miles south Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 522 South Texas Boulevard, Weslaco TX 78596, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Weslaco (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Weslaco City Hall (about 400 feet away); Weslaco (about 400 feet away); First United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cortez Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Weslaco Water Tower (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Joan of Arc Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weslaco.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.