Johnson's Island in Ottawa County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Johnson's Island Civil War Prison
National Historic Landmark
The Johnson's Island Civil War Prison of 1862-1865 served as a vital depot for the confinement of confederate prisoners-of-war during much of the American Civil War. This prison was one of 65 such facilities in which the United States and Confederate Governments held hundreds of thousands of military prisoners during the American Civil War. It has been said that nothing in 19th Century Warfare better illustrates man's inhumanity to man than the Civil War Prisoner-of-War Camps and Stockades.
Erected 1990 by National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 41° 29.707′ N, 82° 44.039′ W. Marker is in Johnson's Island, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker is on Baycliffs Drive 0.1 miles west of Confederate Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakeside Marblehead OH 43440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Confederate Stockade Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johnson Island Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johnson's Island Prison (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Lookout (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Johnson’s Island Committee (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johnson's Island (approx. 1.3 miles away); In Memory of Mason, Simonds & Mingus (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Keeper's House (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson's Island.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2015, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 295 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on January 28, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 18, 2015, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.