Mercedes in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation System
Land developer B.F. Yoakum saw agricultural potential along the Rio Grande and found investors in 1905 for an irrigation project. They purchased 250,000 acres and the townsite of Mercedes for business headquarters. The pump station began operating in 1908. The system had grown by 1920 to three large canals, miles of branches, and five pumping plants. In 1930 the Hidalgo and Cameron County Water Control and Improvement District took over the system which continues to serve the farming area of the Lower Rio Grande Valley.
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5285.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 26° 9.008′ N, 97° 54.745′ W. Marker is in Mercedes, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Street and South Ohio Street, on the left when traveling east on 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 2nd Street, Mercedes TX 78570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this The Hidalgo County Bank and Trust Company (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mercedes City Hall (about 800 feet away); Dr. Héctor P. García (approx. 0.2 miles away); Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church (approx. half a mile away); Temple Beth Israel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Camp Mercedes (approx. 0.6 miles away); Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mercedes.
Also see . . . Benjamin Franklin Yoakum (1859–1929).
In his later years he became very interested in the farm problem. He was an advocate of an agricultural cooperative society, growing and marketing farm products to reduce the spread between farm and consumer. It is said that his genius made Hidalgo and Cameron counties into agricultural communities. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on January 29, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 29, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.