Mercedes in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ebony Grove Cemetery
This cemetery, named for the land's clusters of ebony trees, began in 1922. The American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation Company developed Mercedes and about 200 square miles of adjacent farmlands, also deeding nearly nine acres to the Mercedes Cemetery Association, which still cares for the burial ground. Among the earliest marked graves are those of siblings Maude Evans (d. 1876) and Eugene E. Evans, Jr. (d. 1881), whose remains were reinterred from another cemetery. Ebony Grove Cemetery is shaped like a shield, bounded by the Arroyo Colorado on three sides with an ordered plot layout. Notable landscape features include stone slab covers and fraternal organization gravestones.
Historic Texas Cemetery – 2006
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13987.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 26° 7.637′ N, 97° 54.315′ W. Marker is in Mercedes, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker can be reached from Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mercedes TX 78570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Mercedes (approx. one mile away); Temple Beth Israel (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dr. Héctor P. García (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mercedes City Hall (approx. 1½ miles away); The Hidalgo County Bank and Trust Company (approx. 1.6 miles away); The American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation System (approx. 1.6 miles away); Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mercedes.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 29, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.