Mercedes in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery
This cemetery was established in 1913 on land give by the American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation Company to Immanuel Lutheran Church. The cemetery has served Lutherans throughout the Rio Grande Valley. The oldest grave is that of Wilhelm Schumacher, who died in 1911 and was reinterred here from his family farm when the cemetery was established. Gravestones bear the names of many German, Norwegian, Finnish, and Russian settlers who immigrated to this area from the U.S. Midwest, as well as Hispanic names.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2621.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 26° 9.391′ N, 97° 55.579′ W. Marker is in Mercedes, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the intersection of Levee Road and Anacuitas Street, on the left when traveling north on Levee Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mercedes TX 78570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Our Lady of Mercy Catholic ChurchImmanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. ¾ mile away); The Hidalgo County Bank and Trust Company (approx. one mile away); The American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation System (approx. one mile away); Mercedes City Hall (approx. one mile away); Dr. Héctor P. García (approx. 1.1 miles away); Temple Beth Israel (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mercedes.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.