Pharr in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This cemetery, named for Mexico's patron Saint, Our Lady of Guadalupe, was established in 1913 as a public burial ground for residents of the Pharr community. The Pharr townsite was laid out in 1909, and though ranch graveyards existed south of here, they were unavailable to newcomers. The earliest interment here, of Roberto de Leal, an infant, dates to 1913. Other burials include civic leaders, area pioneers and military veterans. The burial ground features religious statuary, curbing and interior fencing. The City of Pharr is the caretaker of the cemetery, and in 2003 joined volunteers of the Texas Main Street Program for a project to improve the burial ground.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2007
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14165.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 26° 11.961′ N, 98° 11.306′ W. Marker is in Pharr, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pharr TX 78577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Pharr (approx. 0.4 miles away); City of Pharr (approx. half a mile away); Buell School (approx. half a mile away); Old Pharr City Hall (approx. half a mile away); Pharr Volunteer Fire Department (approx. half a mile away); Kiwanis Club of Pharr (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Pharr School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Paris Gum Factory (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pharr.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.