Princeton in Caldwell County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Dotson School
In 1910, Princeton High School was the only high school in the vicinity for blacks. In 1920s name was changed to Dotson High School in honor of John Dotson, a prominent black businessman in Princeton. In 1938, Federal WPA officials approved construction of a new building to house grades 1-12. It was completed in 1941.
Known for basketball, Dotson's 1962-63 team won the regional tournament. Dotson served the black community until 1966, when students were integrated into county schools. The building was destroyed by fire in 1968. In 1984, the property was leased to the city of Princeton for a park.
Presented by the Dotson Park Board.
Erected 2005 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2183.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • Parks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. 37° 7.002′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Princeton KY 42445, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Princeton First Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Historic Educational Site (approx. half a mile away); Ogden Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Courthouse Burned (approx. half a mile away); County Named, 1809 (approx. half a mile away); Black Patch War (approx. half a mile away); William Prince, 1752-1810 / Founder of Princeton (approx. 0.6 miles away); Shandy Hall (Princeton) (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Princeton.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 1, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 1, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.