Manor in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tennessee native James Manor, who came to Texas in the early 1830s, helped settle this area. A town named for him developed here during the 1840s. A Methodist congregation was organized in 1854 and in 1861 a Union church building was erected at this site. According to local tradition E.D. Townes, father of noted university of Texas Law School Dean and Judge John C. Townes, was among several people buried here in the 1860s.
James Manor deeded the land to the community of Manor for church and cemetery purposes in 1871. The burial of Judge Williumson Jones in 1875 is the first recorded after Manor's legal donation of the land. The Methodists built a new sanctuary nearby in 1881.
Manor Cemetery contains many of the area's pioneer settlers and their descendants. Among the more than one thousand people buried here are town founder James Manor (d. 1881); T.B. Wheeler, Lt. Governor of Texas from 1887 to 1891; members of fraternal organizations such as the Masons and Woodmen of the World; and veterans of the Civil War, Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II, and the Korean and Vietnam conflicts. The cemetery contains
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16136.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 20.673′ N, 97° 33.132′ W. Marker is in Manor, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from North Lampasas Street east of North Lockhart Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 582 N Lockhart Street, Manor TX 78653, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. City of Manor (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bloor House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clayton Vocational Institute (approx. ¾ mile away); Decker Swedish Evangelical Free Church and Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Decker United Methodist Church and Community (approx. 4½ miles away); Pfluger Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away); Lockwood Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away); Richland School (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manor.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 85 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 3, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.