South Padre Island in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Brazos Santiago Pass, to south of this spot, was important Confederate harbor-entry during the Civil War. On island across the pass were fort and town of Brazos Santiago, where on Feb. 21, 1861, Texas troops under Col. John S. Ford captured the U.S. depot with mortars, siege guns and ordnance. A Confederate battery was then set up. In March 1861, off the bar, on U.S.S. "Daniel Webster", E.B. Nichols and Maj. Fitzjohn Porter, acting for Texas and the U.S., arranged Federal evacuation of the Rio Grande. Blockade ships arrived Dec. 1861. Col. Ford shifted forces to Brownsville. Gen. J.B. Magruder, C.S.A., ordered blasting of lighthouse north of pass, 1862.
Trade vital to Confederacy plied from Cuba, Europe, Asia to Bagdad, Mexico, often actually slipping into Brazos Santiago Pass. Harbor sheltered blockade runners 1861-64. On May 10, 1863, U.S.S. "Brooklyn" destroyed schooners in the harbor. Late 1863, French warships banned war material in Bagdad, and Mexican steam lighters ran guns from sea vessels into Brazos Santiago. Nov. 2, 1863, Gen. N.P. Banks landed U.S. Army here, took line of
Erected 1964 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 496.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1861.
Location. 26° 4.196′ N, 97° 9.489′ W. Marker is on South Padre Island, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is at the intersection of Channel View Road and State Park 100 Road, on the left when traveling east on Channel View Road. The marker is located in the Cameron County Park and requires an entry fee. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: South Padre Island TX 78597, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Padre J. Nicolas Balli (approx. 1.2 miles away); Queen Isabel Inn (approx. 3 miles away); Charles Champion (approx. 3.1 miles away); Old Point Isabel Lighthouse (approx. 3.1 miles away); Port of Matamoros Port Isabel, C.S.A. (approx. 3.1 miles away); A View from the Top (approx. 3.1 miles away); Point Isabel Lighthouse (approx. 3.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Brazos Santiago. Before 1848 the port was wharves on the lagoon side of Brazos Island. Goods destined for ports up the Rio Grande had to be offloaded at Brazos Santiago because the bars at the mouth of the Rio Grande were too shallow for ships capable of plying the Gulf. Trade for Matamoros and interior Mexico was landed at the harbor on Brazos Island and then transported to Matamoros by oxcart. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on February 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 112 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.