Linn in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
La Noria Cardeneña
Parts of present Hidalgo, Cameron, Willacy, and Kenedy counties were once included in two Spanish land grants, San Juan de Carricitos and San Salvador del Tule. The original grantee of the Carricitos grant was José Narciso Cavazos. After his death, ownership of the land passed to his heirs.
The Tule lands were granted to Juan José Ballí in 1798. Ballí obtained a business loan from Antonio Cardenas of Reynosa, Mexico. Following Ballí's death and subsequent litigation over the loan, the lands reverted to Cardenas heirs in 1828.
The Cardenas family established La Noria Cardeneña Ranch in 1829, so named because of the fresh water wells (norias) found in the region. Gradually, the Cardenas and Cavazos families were joined by a number of marriages, which also combined property interests. Although the families endured many hardships, including years of Indian and bandit attacks, they continued to run a strong ranching operation.
Still in existence on part of the ranch is a small cemetery, begun in 1835 and named Niño Jesús de Praga in 1863. Also surviving are the mid-19th century main ranch house and a church built next
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3002.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Hispanic Americans.
Location. 26° 31.491′ N, 98° 7.674′ W. Marker is in Linn, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is on U.S. 281 2.3 miles south of State Highway 186, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Linn TX 78563, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bazán and Longoria Murders (approx. 2.3 miles away); El Sal del Rey (approx. 3.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.