Falfurrias in Brooks County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Brooks County Courthouse
Created in 1911, Brooks County was named for State Legislator James A. Brooks (1855-1944), who served as the first county judge. Edward C. Lasater, founder of Falfurrias, deeded this courthouse site to the Commissioners Court. County offices occupied rented quarters before construction of this edifice in 1914. The brick courthouse was designed by San Antonio architect Alfred Giles (1853-1920), who planned numerous public buildings in Texas and Northern Mexico.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 523.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Law Enforcement.
Location. 27° 13.531′ N, 98° 8.644′ W. Marker is in Falfurrias, Texas, in Brooks County. Marker is at the intersection of South St. Mary’s Street (Business U.S. 281) and East Miller Street, on the left when traveling south on South St. Mary’s Street. The marker is located next to the front door on the Brooks County Courthouse Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Miller Street, Falfurrias TX 78355, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Our Sons, Our Brothers, Our Friends Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Brooks County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Falfurrias (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fallen Heroes Memorial Park (about 500 feet away); Brooks County’s Catholic Heritage (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Don Pedro Jaramillo (approx. 2.3 miles away); Site of Los Olmos (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falfurrias.
Also see . . . Brooks County Texas.
Brooks County is in the Rio Grande Plain region south of Corpus Christi on U. S. Highway 281. It is bounded on the north by Duval and Jim Wells counties, on the east by Kleberg and Kenedy counties, on the south by Hidalgo and Starr counties, and on the west by Jim Hogg County. The center of the county lies at approximately 27°03' north latitude and 98°14' west longitude. Falfurrias, the county's largest town and county seat, is in northeastern Brooks County at the junction of U.S. Highway 281, State highway 285, and Farm roads 2191 and 1418. Other communities(Submitted on February 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.