Near Falfurrias in Brooks County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Los Olmos
(1.5 Miles Northeast)
The first permanent settlement in Brooks County, Los Olmos was located at the southwest corner of El Paisano Land Grant, given to Ramon de la Garza about 1830 by the Mexican state of Tamaulipas. Situated near the main route to the Rio Grande, the village served a region settled originally by ranchers from northern Mexico. By 1880, it had a post office, stores, and a school, which operated until 1945. The schoolhouse was the site of services conducted by traveling priests. As the town of Falfurrias grew, Los Olmos began to decline. Descendants of its founders still reside in this area.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4823.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 27° 15.455′ N, 98° 7.216′ W. Marker is near Falfurrias, Texas, in Brooks County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2191 0.1 miles west of Farm to Market Road 1418, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Falfurrias TX 78355, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Don Pedro Jaramillo (approx. half a mile away); Falfurrias (approx. 2.6 miles away); Fallen Heroes Memorial Park (approx. 2.6 miles away); Brooks County War Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); Our Sons, Our Brothers, Our Friends Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); Brooks County Courthouse (approx. 2.7 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Brooks County’s Catholic Heritage (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falfurrias.
Also see . . . Los Olmos, TX.
Los Olmos, a dispersed community also known as Paisano, is northeast of Falfurrias near the junction of Farm roads 1418 and 2191 in northeastern Brooks County. The community takes its name from a local ranch. Los Olmos, the oldest settlement in Brooks County, was founded around 1830 when the El Paisano land grant was given to Ramón de la Garza by the state of Tamaulipas. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on February 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.