Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Flowella in Brooks County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Flowella

One-Half Mile South is Site of Town of

 
 
Flowella Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 28, 2021
1. Flowella Marker
Inscription.  

On 1831 "Loma Blanca" Grant and 1873 land of Perez Family, who in 1898 sold "Parrita" (Little Grape Vine) to Mrs. King of King Ranch.

Flowella was founded 1909 by E.O. Burton and A.H. Danforth as trade town for a projected farm colony, and named for a flowing well in middle of townsite. The Calahan Family opened hotel in 1909, store and post office, 1910. School building, also erected in 1910, provided a social-cultural center for some 100 residents. In adverse seasons, closings began: the store, 1911; hotel, 1915; post office, 1923; school, 1928. None of the original buildings remain.

Replaced 1982 Hoblitzelle Foundation / Texas Historical Foundation
 
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1925.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 27° 13.623′ N, 98° 3.374′ W. Marker is in Flowella, Texas, in Brooks County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 285 and Farm
Flowella Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 28, 2021
2. Flowella Marker
to Market Road 2191, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 285. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Falfurrias TX 78355, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Don Pedro Jaramillo (approx. 4.2 miles away); Site of Los Olmos (approx. 4˝ miles away); Falfurrias (approx. 5.4 miles away); Fallen Heroes Memorial Park (approx. 5.4 miles away); Brooks County Courthouse (approx. 5.4 miles away); Brooks County War Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away); Our Sons, Our Brothers, Our Friends Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away); Brooks County’s Catholic Heritage (approx. 5˝ miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Flowella, TX.
Flowella, at the intersection of Farm Road 2191 and State Highway 285, four miles east of Falfurrias in northeastern Brooks County, was founded in 1909 by promoters Burton and Danforth. The community was planned so that at its center would be a flowing well.  Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on February 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 4, 2021