Washington in Rappahannock County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Town of Washington, Virginia
The First Washington of All
Organized and established as a town by the General Assembly of Virginia, December 14, 1796.
Incorporated as a municipality by the General Assembly of Virginia, February 12, 1894.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions.
Location. 38° 42.736′ N, 78° 9.565′ W. Marker is in Washington, Virginia, in Rappahannock County. Marker is at the intersection of Gay Street and Jett Street, on the right when traveling south on Gay Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington VA 22747, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kitty Payne (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington, Virginia (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ellerslie (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Tale of Two Mills (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Washington, Virginia (approx. 0.7 miles away); Banks’s Grand ReviewMusic, Omens, and Destiny (approx. 2.4 miles away); Albert Gallatin Willis (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
Regarding The Town of Washington, Virginia. Washington is the county seat of Rappahannock County. I have seen it on distance signs as WASHINGTON VA to distinguish it from the much more numerous WASHINGTON references, which refer to D.C.
From the Wikipedia entry for Washington, Virginia: The Town of Washington was formerly the location of a trading post utilized by frontier families and members of the resident Manahoac tribe. All of the territory in and around the current town was under the ownership of Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron. In 1748, Lord Fairfax met a 16 year-old George Washington, a distant relative of his. Being impressed by his character, Fairfax employed Washington to survey his lands west of the Blue Ridge Mountains. On 24 July 1749, the town layout as it appears today was surveyed and platted by Washington with the assistance of his chainmen John Lonem and Edward Corder as part of his service to Fairfax. The village was officially established as a Town by the Virginia General Assembly
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,016 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on February 6, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.