Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Glen Echo

 
 
Glen Echo Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, February 6, 2021
1. Glen Echo Marker
Inscription.  This classic two-story Federal-style house was built c 1829 by Judge Thomas Stuart, Williamson County's first Circuit Judge. It features Flemish Bond brickwork on the front and American Bond on the sides and rear. The “glorified frontier” floor plan, common to Middle Tennessee, remains unaltered. The interior contains a large amount of original woodwork, including built-in cabinets in each room. During the Civil War, Confederate and Federal soldiers camped on the grounds. In 1862, General Don Carlos Buell's Federal Army could be seen from the back porch as it marched to Shiloh. In 1996, Glen Echo became a focal point of Battle Ground Academy's new Upper School campus. The house was renovated and restored in 1998.
 
Erected 1999 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducationWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1829.
 
Location. 35° 57.052′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 86° 51.48′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from Ernest Rice Lane. Marker is in the center of the school campus. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 336 Ernest Rice Lane, Franklin TN 37069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle Ground Academy (here, next to this marker); Legacy Walk (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Battle Ground Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin Interurban (approx. half a mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); Roper's Knob in the Civil War / The Union Fortification of Roper's Knob (approx. one mile away); Grave of Midnight Sun (approx. 1.1 miles away); Retreat from Nashville (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Glen Echo Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, February 6, 2021
2. Glen Echo Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 6, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=166391

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 20, 2024