Anadarko in Caddo County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
U.S. Post Office (1947). The historic Anadarko post office building was previously the site of the Kiowa Indian Agency until 1947. The former name is still on the east side of the building.
The post office is listed on the National Historic Register, and houses a massive mural depicting the ceremonial life of the Plains American Indians.
In June 1936, Oscar Jacobson, who was in charge of WPA projects for Oklahoma, commissioned Stephen Mopope to paint 16 murals in the newly constructed post office.
Stephen Mopope, was assisted by James Auchiah, and Spencer Asah. The three men were part of the "Kiowa Five", a group of artists renowned for their depictions of American Indian ceremonial and social life.
Erected by City of Anadarko.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Native Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1947.
Location. 35° 4.451′ N, 98° 14.631′ W. Marker is in Anadarko, Oklahoma, in Caddo County. Marker is on South 1st Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 S 1st Street, Anadarko OK 73005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pocahontas (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stand Watie (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chief Joseph (approx. 0.9 miles away); Tecumseh (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pontiac (approx. 0.9 miles away); Jim Thorp (approx. 0.9 miles away); Sequoyah (approx. one mile away); Riverside School (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anadarko.
Regarding Historic Anadarko. Stop by and go inside the Post Office to see the artwork done by the WPA.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, OKlahoma. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 12, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, OKlahoma. 5. submitted on February 13, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, OKlahoma. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the side of the building that includes the former "Kiowa Indian Agency" name. • Can you help?