Miami and Erie Canal
Looking south from the tow path the wooden lock gates of Lock 24 North can be seen on the right and water coming out the spillway can be seen in the center of the photo. The Hinde-Dauch paper mill, shown on the left, used water power created by the spillway.
Completed in 1845 this original lock is a rare limestone lock. Boats locking through were secured by guide ropes, grooves were formed by these ropes rubbing against the limestone. The first canal boat passed through section 10, now Delphos, on July 4th 1845. 1848 Miami Indians removed from their homes in Ohio and Indiana traveled by boat south on the Miami Erie Canal through Lock 24 on their way to Cincinnati. 1906 the last toll paying canal boat, The Marguerite, permanently moored in Delphos sank and was salvaged in 1987 and is on display at the Canal Commission Museum in Delphos. Gate Statistics
Weight: 7,000 lbs. each gate
Handle length: 22 feet
Width: 15 feet
Length: 90 feet
Length: 90 feet
Material: White Oak
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the The Miami & Erie Canal series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1845.
Location. 40° 51.408′ N, 84° 20.433′ W. Marker is in Delphos, Ohio, in Van Wert County. Marker is on North Street, 0.3 miles north of North Canal Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1415 N Main St, Delphos OH 45833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Miami and Erie Canal (here, next to this marker); Delphos / Miami Erie Canal (approx. 0.7 miles away); Miami and Erie Canal / Delphos (approx. 0.7 miles away); American Legion Veterans Memorial Bench (approx. 0.7 miles away); Delphos Korea War Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Delphos Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Delphos World War I Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Delphos' The Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delphos.
Also see . . . Miami & Erie Canal Lock 24. (Submitted on February 12, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 12, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.