Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Middlesex Township in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Stations Upon the Road

 
 
Stations Upon the Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, April 7, 2014
1. Stations Upon the Road Marker
Inscription.  
After the defeat of General Edward Braddock at the Battle of the Monongahela in July of 1755, (the battle that launched the French and Indian War in North America,) (sic) French and Native American forces unleashed a series of raids on the Pennsylvania frontier causing hundreds of settlers to retreat to Carlisle and points east for protection. These raids went virtually unchecked until General John Forbes’ army captured Fort Duquesne in November of 1758. After the fall of Fort Duquesne it was determined that the chain of Forts (sic) built by Forbes to protect the frontier had some large gaps when it came to supplying an army on the march. as a result, Col. Henry Bouquet, commander of the Royal Americans, directed that five “stations” be built along the military road later named for Forbes. The cabins were built by a company of the 3rd Battalion, Pennsylvania Regiment, under the command of Capt. Nicholas Wetterholt. This building represents one of the cabins that served as a supply station.

After the fighting in Pennsylvania subsided, these stations quickly took on the role of 18th century “mini marts” as travelers

The Road Station display image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, September 11, 2012
2. The Road Station display
regularly stopped to exchange supplies, water horses, or get some fresh food. With the outbreak of Pontiac’s War in 1763, many of these stations were destroyed when Indian raids swept eastward.

Each Logg House containing two Rooms, one about 20 feet Square, the other with a Chimney for a Serjeants guard: a door and a Padlock to the Store Room.
October 12, 1759
Capt. Lewis Ourry to Col. Henry Bouquet
Carlisle, PA
The Papers of Henry Bouquet VL III
 
Erected by U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, French and Indian.
 
Location. 40° 12.283′ N, 77° 9.487′ W. Marker is in Middlesex Township, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker can be reached from Army Heritage Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Specialist Fourth Class Robert D. Law (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Robert W. Black (within shouting distance of this marker); Smallpox (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Smallpox (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Smallpox (within shouting distance of this marker); Lieutenant Colonel William Orlando Darby

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(within shouting distance of this marker); General Francis “Swamp Fox” Marion (within shouting distance of this marker); Army Aviation in Vietnam (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middlesex Township.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 147 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on February 13, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 26, 2021