Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Independence in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Houston Hall

 

— Baylor University —

 
Houston Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 8, 2021
1. Houston Hall Marker
Inscription.  

Baylor University built the "Wing Building" in 1859 to provide immediate relief to overcrowded classrooms. "Male College" was sufficiently finished by 1862 to hold classes and to relocate the library and science laboratories from temporary quarters.

The name "Houston Hall" was applied to commemorate Sam Houston's contributions of finances and advice to the fledgling Baylor University. It served as Baylor's library, science hall, printing house, and museum. After Baylor moved to Waco, Houston Hall served as an academic facility for the orphanage until 1891 when a fire rendered Houston Hall unusable. The intact masonry shell was used as a barda intil its demolition in 1933.

Houston Hall measures 57 by 36 1/2 feet, with wall thickness at 30 inches (2 1/2 feet) thick, on average. The foundations were sufficiently strong for supporting two stories of stone masonry, capped by a hipped roof. Internal walls are on average 18 inches (1 1/2 feet) thick, adequate for supporting stone partitions one story in height. Each internal wall abuts against its external perimeter wall.

The ground floor had a central hallway 9 1/2
The general view of the Houston Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 8, 2021
2. The general view of the Houston Hall Marker
feet wide running north-south connecting two doorways centered in the north and south walls. The internal partitions form four rooms, each measuring 19 1/2 by 15 feet. The second story followed this floor plan. This gave Houston Hall eight rooms and two hallways.

Caption
View of Houston Hall from McArdle Sketch (1883)

 
Erected by Baylor University.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
 
Location. 30° 18.973′ N, 96° 20.736′ W. Marker is in Independence, Texas, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Farm to Market Road 50 and Hood Hotel Road. The marker is located at the east side of Baylor Park on Windmill Hill. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bell Tower (a few steps from this marker); Baylor's Survival— (within shouting distance of this marker); Baylor University Campus on Windmill Hill: (within shouting distance of this marker); In Recognition of the Land Donations to Baylor (within shouting distance of this marker); Windmill Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Baylor University's First Years (within shouting
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
distance of this marker); Founding of Baylor University (within shouting distance of this marker); Baylor University for Boys (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Independence.
 
Also see . . .  Baylor University.
Baylor University owes its founding to Robert E. B. Baylor, James Huckins, and William Milton Tryon, who in 1841 organized an education society in the Texas Union Baptist Association with the purpose of establishing a Baptist university in Texas. Baylor was chartered by the Republic of Texas on February 1, 1845, and was opened in 1846 at Independence. Professor Henry F. Gillette directed the school until the arrival of its first president, Henry Lee Graves, who received notice of his election on January 12, 1846, arrived in Independence in December 1846, and entered upon his duties on February 4, 1847.  Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on February 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Last updated on February 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 1, 2021