The Cider House
The original of this building was erected in October of 1829. It was used for the storage of fermented apple cider, some of which the Johnstons sold.
Hard cider could be kept from one harvest
season to the next if stored under fairly constant temperature. In warm weather, air entering the building through the openings
under the eaves forced hot air out the cupola
on top of the roof. Cooler air entered at
ground level through openings at the base of
the walls. In winter, the doors in the walls
and cupola were closed.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 40° 10.75′ N, 84° 15.461′ W. Marker is in Piqua, Ohio, in Miami County. Marker can be reached from North Hardin Road (County Road 110) 0.1 miles north of Hardin Alt Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9845 N Hardin Rd, Piqua OH 45356, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Courtyard (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fruit Kiln (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Smokehouse
Credits. This page was last revised on February 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 13, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 13, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.