Over 100 years ago, Duncan S. Johnson, Professor of Botany in the Department of Biology at Johns Hopkins University, envisioned building a greenhouse with accompanying botanical gardens. His mission was to provide students with a place to further their study of plants in a naturalistic setting.
Lacking space at the original downtown campus, the university built the Greenhouse here in 1908. It was the first academic building on Homewood Campus and was used as a botanical laboratory along the adjacent Decker Gardens. The Gardens once held over 2,000 plants that served as important sources of instruction and research material for univeristy students.
As the home of the McCollum-Pratt Institute in the 1940s and 1950s, the Greenhouse became the site of a new focus on biochemistry that set the stage for molecular biology at Johns Hopkins University. Today, it remains a symbol of the university's dedication to the advancement of knowledge through research.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Horticulture & Forestry • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wyman Park (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Farmhouse & Slave Quarters (about 600 feet away); The Sheridan Libraries (about 600 feet away); Keyser Quadrangle (about 600 feet away); Morton's Rocks (about 700 feet away); "Isaac Newton" Apple Tree (about 800 feet away); Orchard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Homewood Privy, c. 1801 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johns Hopkins Homewood.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 15, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 15, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.