Hallettsville in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Founded 1833 when John Hallett erected a log cabin near Lavaca River. Town was named for his widow, Margaret, who gave the land when town became county seat in 1852. Farming, livestock, poultry processing, and cotton marketing center. State Championship High School Rodeo held annually in June.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2339.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Women.
Location. 29° 26.628′ N, 96° 56.538′ W. Marker is in Hallettsville, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of East 4th Street (Alternate U.S. 90) and South La Grange Street, on the left when traveling west on East 4th Street. The marker is located in front of the Old Hallettsville Fire Station. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 204 East 4th Street, Hallettsville TX 77964, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First National Bank of Hallettsville (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lavaca County Courthouse50th Anniversary of Battle of Galveston (about 400 feet away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Site of the Alma Male and Female Institute (about 600 feet away); First Methodist Church of Hallettsville (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Hallettsville (approx. ¼ mile away); Hallettsville Memorial Park (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hallettsville.
Also see . . . Hallettsville Texas.
The county seat of Lavaca County, is on the Lavaca River at the intersection of U.S. Highway 77 and alternate U.S. Highway 90A, eighty miles southeast of Austin. One of the first settlers in the area was John Hallett, who received a land grant from Stephen F. Austin in 1831. After Hallett's death in 1836 his wife, Margaret L. Hallett, donated land for the townsite. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.