Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Hallettsville in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

East Side Church of God

 
 
East Side Church of God Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, February 8, 2021
1. East Side Church of God Marker
Inscription.  

According to church history, the Hallettsville Church of God was the first African American Church of God in Texas. Founded in the early 1900s, the church did not have a leader and met in members' homes for its first twelve years. When the Reverend Ira Hall moved to Hallettsville, he became the first church leader. Soon after, Brother Henry Herring built an arbor on his farm to act as the church until the congregation could construct a church building.

In 1916, the Hallettsville Church of God elected its first pastor, the Reverend C.J. Eason. In 1918, the church purchased land and built its first tabernacle. The following year the church hosted its first annual camp meeting, a long-lasting tradition for protestant christianity. At these camp meetings, reverends preached and attendants discussed the goals for the church. The first meeting resulted in the creation of the Texas State Association of the Church of God (TSACG). In 1955 and 1956, the TSACG transferred the property rights of the church to the Hallettsville Church of God. Soon after, the church changed its name to the East Side Church of God.

African American
East Side Church of God and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, February 8, 2021
2. East Side Church of God and Marker
women also played an active role in church leadership. In 1936, Sister Nettie (Aycock) Shankle organized the Women's Missionary Society and acted as the President of the organization from 1936 to 1939. In 1963, Sisters Annie Mae Spencer and Rosetta Goode Williams founded the Victoria Church of God.

Since its founding, the East Side Church of God has acted as an instrumental part of the growth of the African American Church of God in Texas.
 
Erected 2018 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18937.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionWomen.
 
Location. 29° 26.444′ N, 96° 56.27′ W. Marker is in Hallettsville, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of South Dowling Street and Crawford Street, on the left when traveling south on South Dowling Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 411 South Dowling Street, Hallettsville TX 77964, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Wilkins Whitfield (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hallettsville Memorial Park (about 500 feet away); Pioneer Settlers Killed by the Indians Comanches and Tonkahues (about 500 feet away); General John W. Whitfield (about
The view of the East Side Church of God Marker from the road image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, February 8, 2021
3. The view of the East Side Church of God Marker from the road
500 feet away); Arthur Pendleton Bagby (about 500 feet away); Stephen Tucker Foley (about 500 feet away); Paul Scarborough (about 500 feet away); Captain Leiper Willoughby (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hallettsville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 26, 2021