Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Newport in Wakulla County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site of the Former Town of Magnolia

 
 
Site of the Former Town of Magnolia Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, circa 1993
1. Site of the Former Town of Magnolia Marker
Inscription.  Two miles north of this site was located the town of Magnolia, founded in 1827 by the four Hamlin brothers of Augusta, Maine. The Hamlin family had been attracted to the new territory of Florida by the availability of land. The Hamlins chose a site on the St. Marks River which had potential for development into a port town. Because of the lack of overland routes to the north, coastal outlets were particularly important to the settlers and planters of Middle Florida. Magnolia quickly developed into a small but busy port, and in 1829, a U.S. customs house was established there. In the early 1830's, the town had a number of stores and warehouses as well as a bank. Increasing cotton production contributed to Magnolia's commercial growth, but soon the climate and navigational difficulties on the river presented problems for the community. Competition came from the nearby town of St. Marks, and in the mid-1830's the customs house was transferred there. Litigation over land claims in the area also contributed to the decline of the community. Bypassed in 1836 by the new railroad from Tallahassee to St. Marks, Magnolia was gradually abandoned. Today nothing
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
remains of the town except a small cemetery.
 
Erected 1975 by Wakulla County Bicentennial Committee in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-238.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesIndustry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels.
 
Location. 30° 11.948′ N, 84° 10.53′ W. Marker is in Newport, Florida, in Wakulla County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 98 and Lighthouse Road (County Route 59), on the right when traveling west on U.S. 98. Marker is in the small Newport Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crawfordville FL 32327, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tallahassee - St. Marks Railroad (approx. 3.3 miles away); Bo Lynn's Grocery (approx. 3˝ miles away); Port Leon (approx. 3˝ miles away); Telltale Bones (approx. 3˝ miles away); San Marcos de Apalache (approx. 3.9 miles away); Fort St. Marks Military Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Princess Malee "Milly" Francis (approx. 3.9 miles away); a different marker also named San Marcos de Apalache (approx. 3.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Magnolia, FL. (Submitted on February 19, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on February 19, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021