Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Petersville in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

von Hugo - von Clausewitz Family Cemetery

(1000 feet South)

 
 
von Hugo - von Clausewitz Family Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, February 8, 2021
1. von Hugo - von Clausewitz Family Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  

The nearby oak grove served as a family cemetery from the 1870s, originally for two Prussian families immigrating to Texas in the 1850s. They sailed to the port of Indianola and settled here, close to Hochheim Prairie (3 mi W).

Carl Ottomar Gunther Theodor von Hugo (1805-1875) originally owned the property; his is the oldest marked grave in the cemetery. He was born in Prussia and married Albertine Amalie Elise Elenore, Countess zu Dohna (1813-1890), also a Prussian native.

Gustav Adolph Frederick von Clausewitz (1802-1874) owned the land adjacent to the cemetery. He was born at Berg, Prussia, and his passport for immigration was dated 1858. He married Elise Elenore Wilhelmine, Countess zu Dohna (1817-1870), sister of Albertine von Hugo. Both von Clausewitz graves are now unmarked but are recorded in the family cemetery.

The cemetery has some 14 known graves, and possibly others from before the turn of the century. Other family names represented in the cemetery by record are Barth, Bulwer, Nelson, Petering, and Stablefeld.

Burials ceased evidently after the completion of nearby St. Ann's Church in 1906
The view of von Hugo - von Clausewitz Family Cemetery Marker from the road image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, February 8, 2021
2. The view of von Hugo - von Clausewitz Family Cemetery Marker from the road
and the location there of a church cemetery.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5661.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
 
Location. 29° 18.782′ N, 97° 13.403′ W. Marker is near Petersville, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is on State Highway 111 0.4 miles west of Farm to Market Road 966, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Yoakum TX 77995, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Ann’s Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); The Trail Drivers of Southwest Texas (approx. 4.1 miles away); Chisholm Trail Memorial Park (approx. 4.1 miles away); Yoakum (approx. 4.1 miles away); Hochheim Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Cuero I Archeological District (approx. 4.3 miles away); Hochheim (approx. 4.3 miles away); Stagecoach Inn (approx. 4½ miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 4, 2021