Near Petersville in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Annís Cemetery
In 1845, Valentine Hoch settled in this area, and the community that developed nearby soon became known as Hochheim Prairie (now Hochheim). A number of Eastern European emigrants would settle here in the following years. Among them were Jacob and Anna (Laake) Poth, who sponsored other European settlers and rented them land in this area. Many newcomers were of the Catholic faith and in need of a place of worship, so in 1906 the Poths deeded land to the Diocese of San Antonio for the establishment of a church (St. Ann's) and cemetery.
The Poths had already set aside a small plot of land at this site for a family burial ground, with the earliest interment dating to 1891. Known as Poth Cemetery, it remains a part of St. Ann's Cemetery today. The oldest marked grave in the St. Ann's portion is that of early settler Vilhelm Onhaizer, in 1907.
Initially, the cemetery included distinct sections (No longer set apart), including an infant burial area and a section for Mexican American parishioners. Among those buried here are farmers, members of fraternal organizations and veterans of military conflicts dating to the Civil War.
The burial ground contains curbed plots for individuals and families, decorative interior fencing, early vertical stones, an obelisk, a mausoleum and a large crucifix. Today, St. Ann's Cemetery continues to serve Hochheim and surrounding communities, chronicling the lives of pioneer area settlers and later residents.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2006
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13884.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 29° 18.838′ N, 97° 13.663′ W. Marker is near Petersville, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is on State Highway 111, 0.6 miles west of Farm to Market Road 966, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located on the west side of the St. Annís Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4162 SH 111 West, Yoakum TX 77995, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. von Hugo - von Clausewitz Family Cemetery (approx. ľ mile away); Hochheim Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Cuero I Archeological District (approx. 4 miles away); Hochheim (approx. 4 miles away); Stagecoach InnThe Trail Drivers of Southwest Texas (approx. 4.3 miles away); Chisholm Trail Memorial Park (approx. 4.3 miles away); Yoakum (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Hochheim, TX. Hochheim is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 183 and State Highway 111 in northeastern DeWitt County. It was named for Valentine Hoch, a native of Alsace-Lorraine who contracted for a homesite in DeWitt County before he immigrated to Texas. Its name may be translated "Hoch's Home" or "High Home"; either meaning is appropriate, since Hoch settled on a hill. Hoch's youngest child died only a few days before the family left Europe, but Hoch, his wife, and their three other children continued their trek and landed at Indianola, Texas, where Mrs. Hoch died and was buried.† Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on February 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.