McConnellsburg in Fulton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Traveling the Lincoln Highway
Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
Carved out of a remote wilderness, McConnellsburg served the flood of travelers heading west in the late 18th century. Taverns, like the Fulton House, sprang up all along the packhorse trail from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh.
Whether by foot, on horseback, or stagecoach, early travelers faced the challenges of crossing high ridges. It isn't surprising that early automobiles struggled with the same steep grades. The graph to the right reveals the summits to the east and west of this valley. Towns, such as McConnellsburg, were welcome respites for early motorists.
The log structure at the rear of the Fulton House was built in 1770. The house itself, built in 1793, sits on a lot originally deeded from Daniel McConnell, founder of McConnellsburg. According to the 1924 Complete Official Road Guide of the Lincoln Highway, the Fulton House was one of four hotels in town. In addition, “the town had 6 garages, 2 banks, 25 general businesses, and 2 newspapers.” The eastern section of the Fulton House was rebuilt after a 1944 fire gutted that part of the building. Listed in the National Register of Historic places in 1977,
Throughout its history, Fulton House has been a popular stop, hosting John and Abigail Adams, William Henry Harrison, Zachary Taylor, James Buchanan, and Eleanor Roosevelt.
Photo caption for the Lincoln Highway marker: In 1928, more than 3,000 of these markers were placed along the Lincoln Highway from New York City to San Francisco. The marker next to the Fulton House was relocated from Tuscarora Summit in 1992. Fewer than two dozen markers remain in Pennsylvania.
Erected by Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Eleanor Roosevelt, the Former U.S. Presidents: #09 William Henry Harrison, the Former U.S. Presidents: #12 Zachary Taylor, the Former U.S. Presidents: #15 James Buchanan, and the Lincoln Highway series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1770.
Location. 39° 55.94′ N, 77° 59.894′ W. Marker is in McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania, in Fulton County. Marker is on Lincoln Highway East (Pennsylvania Route 16), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 203 Lincoln Way East (a few steps from this marker); 111 Lincoln Way East (within shouting distance of this marker); 205 Lincoln Way East (within shouting distance of this marker); 209 Lincoln Way East (within shouting distance of this marker); 105 Lincoln Way East (within shouting distance of this marker); Changing Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 119 North 2nd Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Changing Main Street (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McConnellsburg.
Also see . . . The Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor web site. (Submitted on June 3, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,377 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on February 21, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 5. submitted on February 20, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.