New Market in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A New Town for a New Road
As Fredericktown was born in 1745, German farmers were already hauling their grain to the port of Baltimore. By the 1780s, new communities were springing up along busy wagon routes. Two speculators, Nicholas Hall and William Plummer, competed to sell lots along a strip of road just a one-day wagon trip east of Frederick. When Mr. Hall sold the first nineteen lots on June 1, 1793, the town of New Market was born.
New Market was soon a major stop on a public road. After 1805, the “all weather” Baltimore and Frederick-Town Turnpike became the first leg of the National Road.
During the next three decades, over three million travelers used the road. They paid 25 cents for lodging and 5 cents for a whiskey at eight New Market hotels and taverns. Today, this historic village still welcomes travelers to antique shops, restaurants and a small general store, where you can still pick up provisions.
Erected by America's Byways.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & VehiclesThe Historic National Road series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1793.
Location. 39° 22.976′ N, 77° 16.201′ W. Marker is in New Market, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on Main Street (Maryland Route 144) west of Prospect Street (Maryland Route 874), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4 West Main Street, New Market MD 21774, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 3 West Main Street (a few steps from this marker); 5 West Main Street (a few steps from this marker); 9 West Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); New Market in the Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); 13 West Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named New Market (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Town of New Market (about 400 feet away); Mile Stones of the old National Pike (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Market.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a facsimile of a newspaper clipping, In 1787, Nicholas Hall tried to sell lots fronting a wide road in the "Town to be called New Market," each for "three pound current money."
In the lower center is a photograph of one of the hotels: During the 1800s, New Market was noted for its many fine hotels. The still-thriving Utz Hotel, photographed around 1900, faced the National Hotel across the street. Today, the Utz survives as Mealey’s Restaurant, behind you.
In the lower right a photo of a horse buggy is captioned, The Post Office was located in the old National Hotel across the road at #5 Main Street, circa 1890.The background of the marker is "National Road at Fairview Inn" which is the standard for markers in this series. An elevation diagram of the national road is displayed on the bottom of the marker's face.
Also see . . . New Market, Maryland. Town website homepage (Submitted on March 13, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 25, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,167 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on February 21, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 25, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on October 7, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.